Saturday, May 21, 2016

Lessons from My Father

I wanted to take the time and write about some of the lessons my father, one of the most influential people in my life, has taught me throughout my 28 years of being around him. These lessons are applicable regardless of where you currently are in life.

1) The road to success is through hard-work.
My dad has always been the definition of work-ethic. He has done crazy things to make sure he is always able to provide for his family. It's this same work ethic that allowed him an opportunity to come to the US and provide my brother and I with opportunity greater than he ever had. Not to mention he has pioneered many different software applications and has gone from working to established companies to risking it all for a shared start-up vision.

2) Don't put your life in the hands of others.
I can't tell you how many times I've heard lectures and lessons from this simple sentence. "You yourself are responsible for your actions and your results, never ever let anyone decide what you can or can't do. Not even me." I've forged my own route to success living on this simple principle. I haven't relied on others for hand-outs and gimme's, I've found a way to work for myself, achieve results, and help others be successful.

3) It's ok to fail, it's not ok to quit.
I joke that I've been a failure since I graduated high school. Going from one failed attempt at success after another. From Real Estate to Xerox, College to my first start-up, Investing and working commission Business to Business sales. My dad has been there every step of the way pushing me to continue on this long and arduous path knowing that I may have not won the game yet, but the score is starting to lean in my favor.

4) Always find a way to help. Every problem has its solution. 
Since I was very little my father has tested me with a series of math and logic puzzles and riddles and has always told me that to figure anything out it all starts with asking the right questions. Don't be a victim to circumstance, you always have time to take a step back, re-evaluate and take a second look at the situation. By attacking things with a resolve mentality and asking the right questions, you can solve anything.

5) Find your passion and always do your best.
My father currently works 5 days a week and yet considers himself to be retired. He works with a big bank writing software code, problem solving, and creating. He's found a way to get paid to do what he loves. To some of us the thought of working 5 days a week in front of a computer reading and writing code might be torture, but to my father he's in his element and loves every second of it. His days of traveling Mon-Fri to all corners of the world are over and now he can enjoy the fruits of his labor.

Thank you so much 
Carlos Vadillo for being such a wonderful man, role-model and best friend. I couldn't be where I am without you.

Love,
Pablo Vadillo

No comments:

Post a Comment